Annually, the Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club of Maryland (BSMC-MD) Chapter provides financial assistance to students from the State of Maryland or the District of Columbia that best represent the attributes of the Buffalo Soldiers assigned to the 9th and 10th Cavalry Regiment. The scholarship winner(s) will be awarded a one-time $2,000 academic scholarship for use at an accredited U.S. college of their choice. Since inception in 2002, the BSMC-MD has awarded $23,000 in academic scholarships.
The William C. Price Scholarship contest is open to African-American seniors attending high schools in the state of Maryland and the District of Columbia. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen and permanent resident, carrying a minimum 2.50 GPA at the end of their junior year. Applications must be postmarked or emailed by April 1, 2019. Mail completed applications to: T. Williams, 12809 Classic Springs Dr., Manassas, VA 20112 or email. The email address is: email@example.com. Semi-finalists will be selected and notified by April 30, 2019.
Application forms are available for download at–> https://buffalosoldiers-maryland.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019_Maryland-Price-Scholarship_Application-2-1.pdf
Instructions for candidates:
(1) Complete all forms in its entirety. Attach additional pages if required.
(2) Prepare a letter of introduction; who you are, your accomplishments to date, family background, and the degree to which you are seeking, and financial need. Provide a brief summary on how you plan to use the scholarship if selected.
(3) Provide at least one professional letter of recommendation prepared on official letterhead.
(4) Provide Student’s name, the complete name and address of the school you will be attending and student ID number. Checks will be mailed to the school via the student’s account.
(5) Write a 500 word essay (typewritten or handwritten in your own words) on one of the following topics. Do not write about the Buffalo Soldiers or Troopers Motorcycle Club, but about the historical Buffalo Soldiers formed in 1866:
A. In what ways does the Buffalo Soldier legacy inspire you and why is it necessary to pass this legacy on to future generations?
B. Buffalo Soldiers exemplify many positive character traits. Please provide examples of at least two traits and briefly describe how they can help mold or shape your life in the future.
C. The Congressional Medal of Honor is presented by the President of the United States in the name of Congress. This is the highest award for valor presented to military members for exemplifying the highest degrees of bravery and self-sacrifice on the battlefield. Please provide a brief narrative regarding a Buffalo Soldier that received this honor and what can be learned from his life, efforts and commitment to duty.
D. What are your career aspirations upon graduation from college?
Applications must be postmarked or emailed by April 1, 2019. Mail completed applications to: T. Williams, 12809 Classic Springs Dr Manassas, VA 20112 or email. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.